New clinic opens in Scappoose to help people with chronic pain
SCAPPOOSE, Oregon — An estimated 500,000 Oregonians suffer from persistent pain, robbing them of a full and active life. Revitalize Wellness Center in Scappoose, sponsored by Columbia Pacific Coordinated Care Organization, has been opened to help people with this problem.
“We are very excited to offer this resource in Columbia County,” says Dr. Safina Koreishi, medical director for Columbia Pacific CCO. “Going into the project, we used insurance claims data that showed seven out of 10 diagnoses for our CCO members were for pain-related conditions, and that the most commonly prescribed medications were opiates for pain management. At that point, we realized that we had a big opportunity to get at the root cause of persistent pain, which we’re learning very often is adverse childhood events, such as trauma, homelessness or abuse. These events can lead to a lifetime of chronic medical and mental health problems. The Revitalize Wellness Center is a first step in drawing health care providers together in our community to improve the lives of those with persistent pain.”
Open to all patients, including those on Oregon Health Plan (Medicaid), the nonprofit center will focus on providing information, counseling, coping skills and community resources to help people reduce and better manage their pain – allowing them to return to doing the things they enjoy. The center seeks to care for the whole person, not just their pain.
The center is similar to the North Coast Pain Clinic, which Columbia Pacific CCO opened last summer in Astoria as a pilot project. With more than 150 graduates to date, 91 percent said that program was “very helpful” and the other 9 percent said it was “somewhat helpful.” As a result of the success in Astoria, two additional centers will open Oct. 1 – Revitalize Wellness Center and the Ivy Avenue Wellness Center in Tillamook.
Patients must be referred to the center by their primary care provider. Revitalize Wellness Center can help members connect with their Primary Care provider if they need assistance with a referral. The center does not provide or prescribe medications, but will work with patients and their primary care providers to design the best, most appropriate treatment plan for each patient.
An experienced pain care professional, Miriam Parker, LCSW, is the clinic team leader of the clinic. Parker obtained her master’s degree in social work from Portland State University in 2004. She worked as a medical social worker in several Portland-area hospitals for more than 12 years. She is passionate about helping clients take charge of their own health, learn to navigate health care systems and communicate better with their providers. Parker has lived in Columbia County for more than 10 years. She loves the many unique qualities of Columbia County and is committed to improving the health and well-being of her community.
For more information about the clinic, please visit www.colpachealth.org/for-members/pain-clinics. The clinic, located at 51577 Columbia River Highway, Suite C in Scappoose, can be reached by calling 503-396-4807.
For more information about this story, contact Patti Atkins, [email protected], 503-961-2535.
For more information about Columbia Pacific CCO, please contact Jeanie Lunsford, [email protected], 503-416-3626.
About Columbia Pacific CCO
Established in September 2012, Columbia Pacific CCO coordinates health services for more than 21,000 Oregon Health Plan members in Columbia, Clatsop, Tillamook and coastal Douglas counties (Reedsport). For more information, please visit www.colpachealth.org.