The Center for Health Systems Effectiveness aims to improve health care systems in Oregon and beyond by pursuing objective, credible and rigorous research with a variety of academic, health care and policy-making partners. Internally, we work to create an environment where collaboration, curiosity, and individual leadership naturally push us toward a highly functional workplace and excellent output.
The Director of Operations (DO) reports to the center director and, with general guidance from the director, leads all non-research functions of the center, including general administration, personnel management, and financial management and forecasting. The DO coordinates decision-making among a variety of internal team leaders to find solutions that meet the center’s strategic needs and have widespread support. The position partners with CHSE directors, project portfolio leads, functional area managers, and internal committees to support an infrastructure for top-class research and a culture of diversity, inclusion and support for all members of the team.
Internally, the DO leads the center’s cross-program Operations Team and, in collaboration with that team, initiates and implements internal policy development and center processes. The DO directly oversees individual administrative staff members supporting non-research functions and coordinates personnel management activities by research staff. The DO manages an administrative team consisting of the Grants & Contracts Administrator, Program Administrator, and Research Coordinator who support the center’s administrative functions. The DO’s own responsibilities include managing internal communications, planning for staff retreats and trainings, serving as a meeting and group facilitator, and identifying organizational needs and priorities. The DO is also responsible for maintaining center financial projections, staff planning, compensation, career development and promotion.
Externally, the DO serves as a liaison with CHSE’s parent department (the Department of Emergency Medicine), to the broader university and health system (including leaders of OHSU’s Human Resources group), and to other university administrative functions. This position stays apprised of OHSU policies affecting CHSE employees and advocates on CHSE’s behalf as needed.
Currently, OHSU is in Modified Operations due to Covid-19 and the position is fully remote. In the future, the position will retain flexibility for remote work with some onsite meetings required.
Visit www.ohsu.edu/human-resources and search for posting 2021-12100
Full OHSU benefit package including health, dental, vision, PTO, retirement contribution
• Bachelor’s Degree with 5 years of relevant experience, including 2 years of management experience
• Demonstrated high level of initiative and the ability to work independently
• Ability to exercise sound judgment in making decisions and navigating unfamiliar situations
• Attention to detail
• Outstanding interpersonal skills to interact professionally with stakeholders and coworkers
• Effective project-management and committee leadership practices
• Demonstrated time management and organizational skills
• Knowledge of institutional and research-related funding and financial practices (NIH, university) and budgetary standards
• Familiarity with standard institutional HR practices, employee management strategies, job classification and compensation frameworks
• Strong writing, editing and grammatical skills
• Demonstrated computer proficiency with MS Office Suite including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
• Knowledge of and experience working in diverse workplaces and following best practices for promoting diversity, inclusivity and equity Preferred Qualifications
• Master’s Degree with 5 years of relevant experience or Bachelor’s Degree with 8 years of relevant experience
• Experience working within a large research center, which included developing strategic plans and financial management
• Knowledge and experience working in health care, health policy or academic health center environments
• Non-profit leadership and financial management experience